Friday, January 21, 2011

Oliver + S patterns - joining the love-fest

I have noticed many bloggers professing their love for Oliver + S children's patterns. Of course, most of the really cute ones are for girls, boo. However, I found this pattern on sale at one of my fave Australian online sewing-goodness-places, Earthgirl Fabrics. I completely agree with other people who've said the patterns are so well-made, with such excellent instructions.


I made a pair in size 4 for my nephew Ori. He chose the fabric from my stash.




I'd been dying to make something with these adorable Heather Ross prints and they're the perfect weight for a sturdy pair of shorts. The moon in the front pocket and on the back is from the Owl and the Pussycat fabric in the same line.

As you can see I'm still struggling a bit with my photography, but these things take practice don't they. And , maybe, reading some instructions? Nah.

The pattern was available in size 0-4, or 5-12 and I got the smaller one, thinking of Clem. Then I realised Charlie (9) needed some new shorts. I did a highly un-technical grade-up of the pattern, made a muslin, tweaked, tweaked some more and then sliced into some lovely bamboo denim I've used a few times, ordered online here. A couple of Echino peacocks in the pockets of these, plus I added two back pockets this time (there are none in the pattern).




These shorts have a faux fly-front. Challenge for 2011: real fly-front pants.

Has anyone used another Oliver + S boys' pattern? Or any other boys' patterns to recommend?

2 comments:

  1. They look great! What lucky boys! (I love the new picture in your header by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable! Can't wait till I learn to sew like that.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I would really love to know what you think. Go on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...