Friday, November 4, 2011

oops, I bought some more Spoonflower


So, um, look what the postie brought. More Spoonflower organic cotton knit. 

They're having a free shipping offer soon, even on international orders. I found that out after this package arrived of course. But nyah nyah, mine's here already.

Tempting as it is to just sit around stroking this fabric lovingly, I knew I had to get working on it and justify my splurge.

The boys need t-shirts and Charlie got the first one. Sleeves and neckband are from a scrap of unbleached cotton rib knit given to me by a work friend.
I think I've made this big enough to accommodate this ten-year-old for a while; he seems to grow every time I turn my head.

Pattern was Ottobre Best t-shirts yet again (I'm certainly getting my money's worth from this pattern!), but this time I went for the straight-cut version rather than the more fitted one.

On a completely different note, we've had our first brush with head lice this week (brush - geddit?).

I was in the shower with Clem and noticed something in his hair. I think it's pretty amazing actually that we've managed ten years of lice-free parenting until now. Pure chance I would imagine.

I posted on Facebook about it and the flood of marvellous advice from experienced friends has been overwhelming. Tiny little buggers incite some very strong feelings!

So I think I've got the whole 'how to break the cycle' thing sussed, but time will tell. We're using only natural products with teatree oil, eucalyptus oil etc but theoretically they should be more than adequate.

It was a little tempting just to get the clippers out and shave dear Clemmy's head to get rid of all the teeny, tiny, clingy lice eggs... but I don't think I could do that to his curls.

After rinsing out some lice treatment, he was walking very, very slowly and carefully out of the shower. "Hurry up," I said impatiently. "I can't, I've got eggs in my hair!" says he.

(This is the boy who recently had two bee stings in three days, both times while holding an egg from the chooks in each hand, and didn't drop a single one.)

Right... so I've just brought the topic around to yucky bugs again. I hope your week has been bug-free!

- J x

6 comments:

  1. Free shipping on spoonflower? SWOON. I may have to pre-emptively use some of the money I'm bound to get for christmas.

    On a less fun note, we've had lice here twice now (thankfully they've stayed away from the toddler and only infested the 7yr old) and have found that using conditioner works really really well. Buy the cheapest thickest stuff you can find, slather the affected head and leave it for a few minutes, comb out the little buggers, rinse the hair. Repeat every two days till you arent getting any more of them. No nasty chemicals, no strong smells, and their hair is amazingly soft afterwards.

    That being said, teatree and eucalyptus sounds like a good plan. If theres a next time I may try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I love that airstream fabric! I was totally drooling over that and considered getting it but went for things that Joe will recognize instead. It is so hipster and awesome I could die. Pair that tee with skinny jeans some horn-rimmed glasses, and that kid will be too cool for school.

    LICE?!!! Eesh. You do seem to have more than your fair share of bugs.

    "I have eggs in my hair!" Cracks me up. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah, yes go on, DO treat yourself to some Spoonflower :) And thanks for the lice tips. The teatree and eucalyptus oils are in a gel and a conditioner, respectively, and I think they kill or at least badly wound the lice to help comb them out. The every-second-day advice sounds good. Which would make today a treatment day. Wish me luck, ha!

    Inder I can't wait to see what you have ordered for Joe. Yeah I think Charlie has the right balance of geek & cool to do the hipster thing... and he will probably need (hipster) glasses later in life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, as a lifelong glasses wearer, getting the cool ones makes all the difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, omigosh, that chemistry fabric is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suddenly feel very, very itchy!!!
    Good luck with the lice...I had it back in 6th grade and the thought of it still gives me the heebie-jeebies!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I would really love to know what you think. Go on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...